- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 orange, zested
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 1 c Mountain Dew
- 4 T butter
- 2 T sugar
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 c flour
- 3 egg
- 1 t orange extract
- Heat oil in deep fryer or deep pot to 350.
- Combine sugar and zests in a food processor or blender and pulse to combine. Pour mixture into a dish and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan combine soda, butter, sugar and salt. Bring mixture to boil. When the mixture comes to boil, remove the pan from the heat and mix in the flour with a wooden spoon until the dough forms a ball. Let dough cool for five minutes.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time, fully mixing between each addition. Add extract.
- Transfer the dough into a piping bag with a large star tip and pipe out the desired length directly into the hot oil. Fry until browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Toss churros in the citrus sugar.